Friday, October 26, 2012

Efterårsferie


So last week was Efterårsferie, or Fall Holidays, a wonderful concept that I hope to take home with me. It's a week long break for no apparent reason, but it was a much needed break from school. I don't think I've had one long weekend since I got here, so by the time Fall Break comes, we're all basically dying from so much school. So it is a trade-off to have 3 week long breaks throughout the year to make up for the lack of long weekends, and also I think the shorter summer break.

I started off the week by going to Copenhagen Culture Night on Friday. It's a night where you pay around 90 kr? something around there, although I don't remember the actual price, but yeah somewhere around $15, and then you get free admission to most of the museums and many other exciting cultural things across Copenhagen. I went with some Danish friends, and we met up with the Brazilians, and went to the Planetarium and the Zoo. Our thought process was that these are very expensive normally, so why not save as much money as we can and go to them for free? The entire night was so fun, Copenhagen was FULL of people, and all the stores stayed open so late, which is not normal for Denmark, normally everything is closed by around 6.

Then the next day was my host brother's 18th birthday party. We had a huge classy dinner and then just a normal crazy Danish party afterwards. I love how big of a deal 18th birthdays are here. There's not really a super important age where you get a huge party in the US. I mean there's Sweet 16's, but no one actually celebrates them. It's because you're legal for everything, drinking driving smoking, everything, when you turn 18 in Denmark. And gaining our legal rights is a little more spread out back home. But anyways, it was such a fun party and a comedian came and the dinner was so good I love Danish food.

Then I just spent Sunday and Monday night relaxing first with my oldie, Vitoria, and then one of my friends from the US, Cassidy. Both nights we just watched a ton of movies and relaxed and talked, and it was really nice.

I spent the rest of the week hanging out with my English class and exchange student friends, trying to see everyone and just being insanely busy. I went out to Holbæk, a city in Western Sjælland, and a class party, and spent a lot of time in Copenhagen, like always. It was just such a good week.

And then yesterday my host family got a PUPPY! Oh my god oh my god he's soo cute. He's a little 8 week old golden retriever ball of fur, and yeah I'm just so happy to finally have a dog again so weee!

And then next week I'm switching classes. I need to start participating in school more, and my current class's line is all science and math, which I don't care about in the US, so how am I supposed to force myself to do it when it's in Danish? My new class is the class I have English with, and their line is social studies, so I think it'll be a really good change for me. Stay posted for how I survive attempting to do my Danish homework!

I hope everything is going well back home, and sorry for this very poorly written blog post ;). I promise the next one will be better!

Hej hej!
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment